1. Launch Citrix XenCenter and connect to your XenServer installation. If there is an update available, you will see a red notification with a number inside next to the Notifications button on the bottom left of the application window.
2. Click on the Notifications button, then select Updates from the pane at the top left of the application window. You will see the updates that are available in the pane on the right.
3. You can view the details of the update by clicking on the triangle at the left of the available update and expanding the row. As we can see from the image below, this update is a 7.2 MB security update.
4. To begin downloading and installing the update, click on the triangle to the right of the Dismiss button in the Actions columns. This will present a dropdown menu. From the dropdown menu, choose Download and Install.
5. A pop up will appear and ask which server you want to update. Select the servers you want to update and click the Next button on the bottom of the pop up.
6. The update will take a moment to download. You can monitor the progress of the download from the pop up’s status bar.
7. When the update download completes, you will receive a success message in the pop up like this:
Click the Next button to continue.
8. Citrix XenServer will then begin performing pre-checks to ensure that no damage befalls your virtual machines and that everything else is ready for installation of the update.
9. A successful pre-check will result in success messages like in the image below. Click the Next button to continue.
10. In this step, ensure that the option that reads, “Allow XenCenter to carry out the post-update tasks as soon as the update has been applied.” is checked, then click the Install update button at the bottom the the pop up.
11. Citrix XenServer will begin installing the update. When the update has been installed, XenServer will reboot to apply the changes. Connection to XenServer from XenCenter will be momentarily interrupted, but XenCenter will attempt to reconnect to XenServer every 120 seconds until reconnected.
12. When the reboot completes and XenCenter reconnects to XenServer, you will receive a success message like in the image below.
13. It is now safe to close the pop up. Click the Finish button at the bottom of the pop up window to close it.
That’s all there is to downloading and installing an update for Citrix XenServer from XenCenter. Restart your virtual machines and return to computing as normal!